The MoBster Diaries

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Mother of the Bride Lesson #1: It ain't like it used to be

This is what the Mother of the Bride business looked like in 1973. But I have to confess that here and now in 2007, it's all new to me.

Another confession: I have not spent a moment's time thinking about what my daughter's wedding day would be like in the whole of her 24 years. Honestly. I spent more time imagining her baptism when I was carrying her those 9+ months. (The baptism turned out quite nicely, if you're wondering.)

As she grew up I pictured her doing lots of things - starring in school plays, hosting various birthday parties, attending camp, getting ready for college. But I can't remember ever daydreaming about her walking down the aisle in a big white dress. I never doubted she'd do it; she's gorgeous and dramatic - perfect Here-Comes-The-Bride material. But somewhere in the back of my mind, I knew that she'd have her own opinions about how everything would happen, so I just left the bride-dreams up to her.

But now it seems I need to make up for lost time. If all goes as planned, the big day will happen sometime in October 2008, which gives me about 14 months to catch up.

And here's the first thing I've learned: the whole wedding game is really different from when I was a bride 34 years ago. I'm having to bring myself up to speed on today's rules (or lack thereof) of wedding etiquette and mores. Wedding planners, save-the-date cards, the size of the bridal party, reception expectations, online bridal registrations - it's a long, long list that needs my immediate attention.

I'm just getting started. Let's see if I make it from here through the Big Day with grace, sanity, and a few coins left in my pocket. And on top of everything, I'm having a hard time believing I'm old enough to be a MoB. Oh, dear!

Bookmark and Share
posted by MaryB at

4 Comments:

  • A terrific start for your new blog. And what a great name! You're sure to be a smashing MoBster. I look forward to reading all about your new adventures.

    By Blogger Elsie, At August 20, 2007 at 3:55 PM  

  • I love it! I love it! I love it! Of course now you can only say nice things about me. XOXO

    K

    By Blogger Kate, At August 20, 2007 at 5:04 PM  

  • elsie - Thanks for your support. I'd say that you could glean potential MoB advice from the site, but I suspect by the time your daughter's old enough to marry, the rules will have changed again. Should be good for a laugh, though.

    kate - well, if you're a good girl . . . ;-)

    By Blogger MaryB, At August 20, 2007 at 5:17 PM  

  • We none of us are old enough to be MoBs!

    By Blogger Liz Hinds, At August 22, 2007 at 4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home