The MoBster Diaries

Sunday, July 6, 2008

That Most Dreaded Subject

That's right. I'm talking about the Mother of the Bride dress. Finding a ready-made one is becoming hopeless as the days fly by. I've been to many of the NY stores, to no avail - and if I can't find it in New York, I can't find it anywhere.

I have three "must-haves" for the dress: blue (a flattering blue), short (knee-length), 3/4 sleeves. Well, see, right off the bat, I've set myself up for failure.
It's impossible to find a fancy dress in a color other than beige, black, or white (or some hideous shade of green). Cocktail-length dresses are mostly sleeveless or strappy numbers, and while my bat-wings aren't too bad at this point, I won't be wearing sleeveless to Bride's wedding. I look best in a 3/4-length sleeve - long sleeves are too hot, and above-the-elbow sleeves are old-lady-ish.

So, my dilemma. Add to those factors the problem that I already have in my head the kind of dress I want, and, well, you see it's just an impossible task. As the days pass it's becoming clearer that the only thing to do is to find a seamstress and have a dress made for me. I've found a couple of Vogue patterns that I could live with, given the right fabric. Fortunately, I do have a few seamstress contacts here in New York, so I'm hoping it won't be too much of a struggle.

In the end, it's the only way to get what I want, I reckon. I've already talked with one potential dress-maker who's willing to look at the patterns and help me select fabric. I haven't heard her price yet, though. I promise to get serious about this in August. Really.

By the way, the dresses shown are all things I simply hate. Ugh! As I've said before, Google the word "ugly," and Mother of the Bride dresses come up.

Bookmark and Share
posted by MaryB at

2 Comments:

  • Mary, you'd look great in a paper sack, so please stop worrying. Besides, it's just not right to upstage the bride ;) I'm sure you'll find something sometime soon. In the meantime, relax and enjoy this beautiful weather!

    By Blogger Elsie, At July 10, 2008 at 1:21 PM  

  • Aw, thanks, elsie. You're right - I don't want to upstage Bride!

    By Blogger MaryB, At July 13, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home